Research interests: food environments, food ethnographies, dietary assessment methods, population health, health promotion, environmental sustainability and health, social determinants of health, geomatics
PhD student, Public Health and Health Systems, Faculty of Applied Health Sciences, University of Waterloo (2019- )
MA, Faculty of Geography, University of Western Ontario (2004-2006) (Read Martin's thesis)
- Holmes M. Determining behaviour: How space and design can shape the student experience. Association of College and University Housing Officers International Annual Conference, 2014.
- Bruner B., Holmes M, Phillips C, Atrooshi D. Beyond KD: Exploring how to improve the food skills of emerging adults. Society for Behavioral Medicine Annual Meeting and Scientific Sessions, 2014.
- Holmes M. Rethinking food education through skill enhancement and development. Ontario Association of College and University Housing Officers Annual Conference, 2014.
- Bruner B, Holmes M, Phillips C. Characterizing food skills and dietary habits among emerging adults on a university campus. International Society for Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity Annual Meeting, 2013.
- Holmes M, Gilliland J, He M, Tucker P, Irwin J., Hess P. Is the grass greener on the other side: Examining environmental equity and public play spaces in a Canadian city. American Association of Geographers Annual Meeting, 2006.
- Holmes, M, Gilliland, J, He, M, Hess, P, Irwin J, Tucker P. Finding good places to play: Exploring social justice and public park provision in urban neighbourhoods. International Conference on Urban Health, 2005.
- Holmes M, Gilliland J. Mapping opportunities for physical activity among children in London, Ontario. Canadian Public Health Association Annual Meeting, 2005.
- Holmes M, Gilliland J. Assessing neighborhood opportunities for physical activity in London, Ontario. Canadian Association of Geographers Annual Meeting, 2005.
- 2014 & 2015: Best Conference Presentation, Ontario Association of College and University Housing Officers Annual Conference.
- 2015: Nipissing University Teaching Award Nomination
- 2004: Social Science & Humanities Research Council Canada Graduate (Masters) Scholarship