Research interests: food literacy, food environments, food ethnographies, dietary assessment methods, validation, implementation science, population health, health promotion, environmental sustainability and health, social determinants of health, geomatics
Read about Martin and his PhD thesis
- PhD Candidate, Public Health and Health Systems, Faculty of Health, University of Waterloo (2019- )
- MA, Faculty of Geography, University of Western Ontario (2004-2006) (Read Martin's thesis)
- Gilliland J, Holmes M, Irwin JD, Tucker P. Environmental equity is child's play: mapping public provision of recreation opportunities in urban neighbourhoods, Vulnerable Children and Youth Studies 2006, 1:3, 256-268
- Holmes M. Determining behaviour: How space and design can shape the student experience. Association of College and University Housing Officers International Annual Conference, 2014.
- Bruner B., Holmes M, Phillips C, Atrooshi D. Beyond KD: Exploring how to improve the food skills of emerging adults. Society for Behavioral Medicine Annual Meeting and Scientific Sessions, 2014.
- Holmes M. Rethinking food education through skill enhancement and development. Ontario Association of College and University Housing Officers Annual Conference, 2014.
- Bruner B, Holmes M, Phillips C. Characterizing food skills and dietary habits among emerging adults on a university campus. International Society for Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity Annual Meeting, 2013.
- Holmes M, Gilliland J, He M, Tucker P, Irwin J., Hess P. Is the grass greener on the other side: Examining environmental equity and public play spaces in a Canadian city. American Association of Geographers Annual Meeting, 2006.
- Holmes, M, Gilliland, J, He, M, Hess, P, Irwin J, Tucker P. Finding good places to play: Exploring social justice and public park provision in urban neighbourhoods. International Conference on Urban Health, 2005.
- Holmes M, Gilliland J. Mapping opportunities for physical activity among children in London, Ontario. Canadian Public Health Association Annual Meeting, 2005.
- Holmes M, Gilliland J. Assessing neighborhood opportunities for physical activity in London, Ontario. Canadian Association of Geographers Annual Meeting, 2005.
- 2022: Implementing Smart Cities Interventions to Build Healthy Cities (SMART) Training Platform Stipend (funded by Canadian Institutes of Health Research, National Science and Engineering Research Council, and Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council)
- 2021-2022: Ontario Graduate Scholarship
- 2021-2022: University of Waterloo President's Graduate Scholarship
- 2019: Faculty of Applied Health Sciences Graduate Scholarship, University of Waterloo
- 2014 & 2015: Best Conference Presentation, Ontario Association of College and University Housing Officers Annual Conference.
- 2015: Nipissing University Teaching Award Nomination
- 2004-2005: Social Science and Humanities Research Council Canada Graduate (Masters) Scholarship
- Neiterman E, Mulla R, Holmes M. Navigating Choices: Developing an Instructor’s guide for introducing choices into students’ learning activities. Learning Innovation and Teaching Enhancement Grant. University of Waterloo. 2020.